Saturday, August 14, 2010

Settling In



Right now, everyone in my house (apartment) is napping.  And for those of you who know me well, you know that I am not a napper.  So I thought I would try and catch everyone up on what all has been going on here in Denver!

It is hard to believe that we started our journey here one week ago today.  It has been a whirlwind to say the least.  It has had its emotional ups and downs - but all in all, it has been better than we could have hoped.  And can I just say that the weather here is AMAZING!!  I walked outside this morning at about 7:45 and it was really chilly ... in August!!!  I still can't get over how beautiful it is here.

Monday was "Move-in Day."  We had everything unloaded by about 10:30 and the unpacking frenzy began!  I had had a pretty rough night of sleep the night before, to be honest I think a lot of it was anxiety, but God provided the adrenaline that I needed to get through the day.  Thankfully my Mom was here to help out with the kids so we were able to get a LOT done.  When Bryan and I both get into task mode, we are knock stuff out quick.  We had 80% of the unpacking done by the following morning - woo hoo!  The apartments are great - I will post pictures soon.

Then Tuesday came - probably the most emotional day for me.  I drove my Mom to the airport that morning and we both were teary most of the way.  I hugged her goodbye, drove off, and started sobbing.  It was a 40 minute drive home and I just asked God to hear the cries of my heart because I didn't quite have words to give at that point.  Yes it was hard to say bye to Mom, but I really think that that is when reality started setting in.  We live in Denver, Colorado.  Nothing is familiar.  Bryan is going back to school.  We live in a two bedroom apartment where my son is sleeping in a storage room (which he loves by the way).  We are raising support.  Bryan is going to have to work and be a full time student.  Our lives are changing ... and although I am ok with that ... it is still hard.

Ok - on to a lighter subject!!  Have I mentioned that we live in the on-campus apartments and ours is on the bottom floor and looks onto the playground?  Yes - we have played there every day and it has provided such a great avenue to meet people in the exact same stage of life!  Jordan and Drew are having a ball and meeting new friends (maybe I should just say Jordan is because Drew just runs around and rides a little scooter everywhere).  It has been a huge blessing and so much fun.  We are excited to see what the Lord has in store there.

My only complaint is our neighbors - they are so annoying and won't leave us alone .... haha!!! JUST KIDDING!!  Having Katherine and Sean right next door has been one of the sweetest blessings of this whole thing.  It is so easy to walk next door and just say hey.  Jordan is loving it probably more than anyone.  She loves little baby Tate and always wants to know what he is up to.  And Aunt Kat is pretty cool too!  Drew is warming up to them like family which is fun to watch.  Not that he was hesitant, but he is starting to realize how close we all are and he is joining in on that.  What a joy!


Ok - I realize this is a long post so I'll wrap it up with a few prayer requests:

1.  Please pray for a job for Bryan.  He picked up a number of applications yesterday for some restaurants within about 2 miles of us so he is working on those.  Please pray that God would lead and that he would get a job quickly so that he can get training over with before school starts.

2.  Please pray that God would provide for us financially.  Depending on how much support we are able to raise will determine how much Bryan has to work.  And being a full time student, it is going to be a challenge.  So the more support we can raise the more time Bryan will have for school and family.

3.  Please pray for me.  I am mentally and emotionally exhausted.  The last two weeks have just been a roller coaster of emotions with saying goodbye to people we love, moving, and now trying to get settled and connect with new people here.  I am trying to find the balance of letting myself be sad about leaving and still excited about being here.  I feel both very strongly so it is a bit overwhelming and a lot to process.

One more thing.  We have seen a number of rainbows since we moved here and they have been stunning and of course they remind me of Noah and the flood.  What an incredible story for me to cling to right now - a true story of obedience.  And every time I have seen a rainbow this past week, God gently reminds me that He is faithful.  And that His promises are true.  He is my Rock and my Fortress - and in HIM I will put my hope.

Here are a few pics:


Just driving home.  Can you believe that scenery!?

Loving being outside!

3 comments:

  1. OMG!! I miss you guys so much! Thanks for posting! LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading this! Will be praying for you guys!

    Amy Darragh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, I miss you so much. So much. Eli and I will most definitely have to come and visit you! Not joking in the least bit.Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete